If you’re just getting into gardening or permaculture you might be wondering if getting serious about composting is for you.
Why to Compost?
- Send less trash to the landfills
- Make high quality soil at home, without having to purchase it from expensive hardware or lawn & garden stores
- Increase self-sufficiency
- Control the inputs into your garden (no fertilizers or chemicals from pre-bagged soils)
- Increase the productivity of your orchard or garden
Depending upon where you live you might also need to compost to create enough soil to properly manage a garden. Every 6 years mother nature provides us with 1 inch of soil, and depending upon where you live there just might not be enough good soil around for a serious garden. Composting allows you to create up to 6 inches of high quality soil every year to enhance the quality of the soils in your garden.
More on Composting:
- Main Composting Page.